Sunday 16 March 2014

Tuscan Adventure


Back in December we went on a little trip.

With just a handful of friends (a couple of whom can drive).
Two cars, one blue sky, and a whole lot'a wintery sunshine. 
We drove through the rolling hills of Tuscany.
It was cold, crisp and clear. 
 

With our sunglasses, swimmers and scarves.
Seven Italians, one German and me.
 (And the awkward realisation that together we make the Axis powers).
(But it's okay, I'm half Ally too...)

We watched our toes disappear in white water.
And each others' faces fade into snowy steam.
Until, in the dark, slipping in mud and tripping over branches,
We blindly carried our sulfur-smelling bodies back to the car.


We sang songs round the fireplace, and fuelled with fiorentina, 
played hide-and-seek out in the dark.
Then I fell in a hole and bruised my knee.
And Annie cut her leg on a branch.
The game was deemed a drunken hazard and we trotted back indoors.


A few euros poorer, a hundred memories richer.
That's how I'll remember my Tuscan adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment