Sunday 30 March 2014

The Perfect Swiss Getaway

I've just returned from a couple of weeks outside the small city of Bologna, knee-deep in my overdraft but happily refreshed after treating my eyes (and nose) to a view other than red walls and poo-laiden porticos. (No offense Bologna.)

Zürich and London were my two stops, and since there are already plenty of pointers on where to go in the latter, I will take this opportunity to propose a couple for the former, just in case you ever manage to find the opportunity (and by all means, if you do, grab it) to drop by.

Having a sibling that has lived in Zürich for the past four years not only means free accommodation, but a lot of good spots already picked out for you. No guidebooks or faffing (though a couple of minutes perusing this page would be well spent).

A Poushe strudel to salivate over 

Skipping breakfast and moving on to lunch might not be such a bad idea when you head over for your mahoosive Poushe strudel.
They have sweet and savoury strudels as well as cakes and cookies, and for under 20 CHF you can get this big baby with as much salad as you can fit on the rest of your plate (stacking, piling, squishing are key techniques).
The Poushe I popped into was here and is not hard to reach from the city centre. Italy has left me ever grateful for clean, functioning public transport and Zurich definitely has that in the bag.



An Afternoon of Art at Kunsthaus Zürich 
I'm usually not much of a gallery-goer, but on this occasion was ordered to visit Kunsthaus by an artist friend back in Bo. I ended up spending an entire afternoon here. They have an expressionist exhibition on at the moment, until the 11th of May 2014, which is definitely worth a visit. As a student I paid 17 CHF (full price is 22) and spents hours devouring every detail with my eyes. (On Wednesdays you can visit the galleries main exhibits for free.)


A Peaceful Pause at Piazza


Piazza is perfect for a catch up coffee with a friend or a quiet tea break after a long day of strudel-munching and art-gazing.
I've been here on a few occassions now and there are always people tapping away on their laptops, sipping coffee with friends or having a quiet tea with a newspaper at hand.

It's located in Idaplatz and has been my go-to cafe for study sessions and blog-writing afternoons during all of my stays in Zürich. (It's also close to Poushe, the strudelhaus I mentioned above - bonus!)

Just outside, dotted along the piazza in which this place is located, there are some other small places worth a peek; stationary shops, restaurants and cafes.






Unwind by Bouldering at Minimum

After a long day of desk-work and tram-riding, there is nothing like a good climb.

This happens to be the place where I popped my bouldering cherry and I must say it has me hooked. It's a great way to build strength and is much more difficult than it looks, not to mention much less dull than pumping iron in the gym.

The nicely challenging routes, fascinatingly good-looking and muscular climbers, and vibe of the place are only a few of its charms that will having you going back for more.

It is open until late and has a nice cafe/bar area where you can sit for a break between climbs or have a lounge around with a beer and a slice of quiche afterwards. It's here.




So there we have it, a few things that you could fit in to a day or two if you ever visit Zürich.
A bit of an unplanned, off-topic post but hopefully of interest to some all the same.

To anyone staying in Bologna, it is only a 5 hour journey by train up to Zürich with one change at Milano Centrale. The views between Milan and Zürich, through the mountains and past the lakes, make the whole trip worthwhile and enjoyable and it is definitely a journey that I can recommend.

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment